Marketing has taken various forms in different eras by targeting the mentality of prospective customers. While newspapers and TV ads were a great way to engage customers at one point, modern marketing techniques are pretty versatile and different from before. As the internet grew more common, businesses focused on developing websites to create an online presence. That’s when the rise of social media marketing began.
Continuing the trend of getting better online reach, social media marketing emerged as a significant game changer for businesses. With more than 4.48 billion social media users worldwide, there is no way better than social media to reach out to potential customers, regardless of the business size and niche.
There are countless social media marketing examples of how it has boosted businesses’ online presence and helped them reach more audiences.
If you’re a business owner looking to enhance your digital presence, this post will help you understand how to build a solid social media marketing campaign for your business.
What Is Social Media Marketing?
Most social media users are on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. Social media marketing allows businesses to use these platforms to reach potential customers on these platforms.
It’s an excellent tool for businesses to:
- Promote organic growth
- Target the right audience
- Build and Improve brand awareness
- Build a brand-oriented community
- Improve conversion rates
- Generate more quality leads
- Drive more traffic to their websites
- Boost SEO with user-generated content
So, what happens when you use social media for your business marketing? Numerous social media management tools can help you design marketing campaigns to reach more customers.
Generally, social media marketing campaigns involve content that maintains a specific brand voice and style.
Depending on the social platform, the content can be of various types, such as:
- Social media posts
- Customer testimonials
The idea behind the content is to engage with the customer to help propagate your brand message. Here, it’s important to note that not every type of content suits every social platform. Therefore, if you want your campaigns to be effective, you must target each platform strategically.
Why Is Social Media Marketing Important?
Given the number of social media users, it’s almost criminal for businesses not to have any social media presence. More importantly, the trend of online buying is more common in the younger generations, which makes them the ideal target audience for businesses via digital platforms.
Here are some critical reasons to incorporate social media marketing into your business campaigns.
- Social media gives you a chance to represent your brand to a large audience at a global level.
- There are almost no geo-restrictions for businesses to market their products and services.
- Connecting with customers is more accessible, thanks to easy messaging and chatting tools.
- Instant communication tools allow you to create stronger bonds with your audience.
- You can target specific customers through your posts to enhance your chances of making sales.
- You can control your brand representation and maintain a specific campaign style.
- Target your customers through tailored content. For instance, the Instagram audience will be more interested in product images and videos than blog posts. So you can create more accurate content to target your customers more effectively.
Social Media Marketing Strategy
While creating social media content is critical for your online presence, it’s more organized than expected. So, you might be tempted to publish more content on social media, but before you do that, ensure a marketing strategy is in place.
Such a strategy will help you to make the best use of your online presence on social platforms and gain more tangible results for your business. Here are some critical aspects to consider for a social media marketing strategy.
1- Setting goals
Start with setting some business goals. It’s the first step in your SMM that should be well thought-out even before you create your business social media account. Typically, your goals determine what benefits you want to earn from your social media presence.
For instance, your goals can be about:
- Enhancing your brand reputation
- Increasing online sales
- Reaching out to a specific target audience.
Setting goals for your social media marketing gives your upcoming marketing efforts a better direction. It helps establish more focus and helps align your ideas with your marketing teams so they know the desired outputs of a social media campaign.
2- Research Your Target Audience
Since social media platforms vary in content type, it’s more complicated to predict the success of your marketing campaign on every platform. Therefore, picking your target audience is essential to understanding which platforms work better for you.
Hence, you must start researching buyer personas to understand your audience better. It will involve some historical sales data and possible surveys. Here are some common questions to search for the right target audience.
- What is the target age group for your product?
- What is the nature of your product or services?
- What are the needs of your typical customer section?
For instance, if you’re a shoe brand, your target audience range would be higher than a business that sells children’s clothing. You can use tools like Google Analytics to understand how your competitors target their customers.
Moreover, hiring professional business researchers for this role is a good idea.
Understanding buyer personas help you tailor content according to their needs and the social media platforms that they use.
3- Determine Which Social Media Will Work Best For You
Once you have the buyer personas, you will realize that not all social media platforms need to be targeted. At this stage, you can filter out the essential platforms and start creating content for them,
Each social media platform is useful in a different way. For instance, most LinkedIn users are professionals or upcoming graduates. Hence, LinkedIn could be a great marketing channel for your business if your product targets this customer base.
Best Platforms To Target
While many marketing gurus believe that omnichannel marketing is the right way, it’s only sometimes necessary and may consume additional resources and time.
But if you’re in a hurry and want to establish a social media presence anyways, here are some of the top platforms to target:
- Facebook – Facebook has 2 billion Daily Active Users (DAU) and over 60 million business pages. More importantly, it features Facebook Ads that allow you to target customers more precisely. The average user age on Facebook is around 40 years. Since it’s an open platform, you must be prepared to handle criticism and negative feedback more professionally and be proactive while engaging with your customers.
- Twitter – Twitter allows users to create a 28–character post for their followers. Hence, there is value in every word that you post on your social media account. Therefore, hiring professional copywriters to create engaging Twitter posts for your target audience is a good idea. Twitter is a place for passionate followers, so finding the right audience can substantially help you grow your business.
- Instagram – Perhaps the ideal platform for visual brand representation, Instagram has nearly 1.35 billion users. Instagram also offers ads, so it specializes in online marketing. Moreover, Instagram content creation is simple as you let graphics and images talk for you.
By opting for the right social media platform, you can improve your chances of establishing a stronger online presence and acquiring more customers through social media posts.
4- Create Unique & Engaging Content
The quality of social media posts is critical in keeping your followers engaged. Here, it’s a good idea to research the type of content your competitors are creating. Then, create similar or better content to compete with them.
On social platforms, user reactions are everything. Regardless of how educational content you create, it must have an element of attraction that generates more user reactions in the form of likes, shares, and comments.
So, it’s worth understanding the content your customers prefer while surfing the internet.
5- Post Content At The Right Time
Bombarding your social media handle with content will never work for your online presence. Instead, it’s critical to get the timing right. According to Google Analytics, you can figure out the timings of your active users.
Hence, following user behaviors and surfing methods helps you to time your content in a better way.
For instance, LinkedIn usage is considerably less on weekends. So, posting on weekdays is a more suited option.
Likewise, Facebook posting can yield better results if you post on weekdays at 3 am.
6- Analyze What Works for You
Sometimes, you will need to go back to the drawing board. For that, you need to monitor your marketing strategies and evaluate their performance closely. Some platforms are doing better than expected, while others need reconsideration.
With a critical analysis of each platform and marketing tactic, you can master your social media marketing skills to strengthen your online presence.
7- Respond Promptly To Enquiries From People
Social media marketing is all about engaging with the users. Therefore, attending to their queries and responding promptly is important. If you take too long to reply or don’t read the queries, it creates a negative image of your brand and can force your followers to opt for a different brand.
So, whether it’s direct messages, customer comments, or queries, respond professionally regardless of how they might address you.
Benefits of Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing gives you ample chances to reach new audiences. Here is a quick look at some of its major benefits.
Enhance Brand Awareness
Brand awareness is critical for a stronger online presence. Having more followers on social media places you as a recognized brand in the digital landscape. Hence, it directly impacts your sales and conversions by bringing more traffic to your website.
Strengthen Customer Relations
Social media is a direct platform for customers to connect with businesses. So, communication is much faster and allows your customers to share their issues and product experiences better. Ultimately, it helps in creating stronger and long-lasting bonds with your customers.
Compete With Other Brands
Comprehensive social media research also helps you to understand your competitors. Hence, you can create better marketing campaigns and social media content to stay ahead of your competition and create a stronger foothold in the digital market.
Social media marketing is straightforward to implement. However, it requires immense research to understand the target audience and the types of platforms that will work best for a specific product or service. Hence, preparing a robust social media marketing strategy can guarantee a better online presence and success for businesses of all sizes.